TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

The Compass - Purple journey starts May 8th

58K views 456 replies 55 participants last post by  Weebles 
#1 ·
Hello my fewllow T-dubbers, many of you have been asking for a map of my trip. I don't have a set route but I do have a general plan of roads that I do want to travel on in no particular order. So if any of you lives off these back roads and want to offer hospitality or join on a day ride, I would love to get your contact information so when I'm in your neck of the woods, I can give you a holler. Also once I have started my trip, I will have a spot tracker turned on so you guys can see where I'm at all times. To access my tracker, you visit my blog: Two Wheels Two Feet | Learning to stand on my own two feet through motorcycles, twitter: @2wheelstwofeet, Instragram: twowheelstwofeet, facebook: Ginamarie Austin

[url]http://www.roadtripusa.com/routes.html[/URL]
  • Pacific Coast – This is also known as Highway 1. I have done some of this road in the past but I have not been on any part of it north of San Francisco. I do particularly want to visit the Lost Coast area in Northern California. I have seen beautiful pictures of that area

• Border to Border – This is also known as Highway 93. It runs from the Canadian border at Jasper National Park and into south of the border of Mexico.

• The Road to Nowhere – This is also known as US-83. It was once the only entirely paved route from Canada to Mexico until modern history.

• The Great River Road – This route is just a series of roads that was created in 1938. It is designed to show off the 10 states bordering the Mississippi river.

• Appalachian Trail – There is actually a parkway that parallels the pedestrian route of the Appalachian Trail. It winds from the north woods of Maine all the way south to Georgia.

• Atlantic Coast – This is almost a 2,000 miles of two-lane country roads that run along side of the Atlantic Ocean almost the entire way.

• The Great Northern – This is also known as US-2. It was dubbed the Great Northern in memory of the pioneer railroad that parallels the western half of the route. It is the longest east-west US Highway (2,571 miles) across the northern continental United States.

• The Oregon Trail – This is also known US-20. This is another east-west US Highway. It starts in Oregon and run the most of the way through to Massachusetts. There is a break at the entrance of Yellowstone Park since this road was not a planned coast to coast route. It was extended in 1940.

• Loneliest Road – This is also known as US-50. This is another east-west highway that runs through the heart of America. It has been dubbed the “Loneliest Road” since it passes through desolate, remote areas with few inhabitants and few communities with minimal services.

• Southern Pacific – This route follows the old US-80 on the southern part of the US from California to Georgia. It was once known as the Dixie Overland Highway.

• Route 66 – The most famous route of all time is Route 66 that runs from California to Illinois. I have done half of this route and want to finish it. My late husband and I did it on our honeymoon but we got hailed, snowed and rained on most of this trip so when we got to Albuquerque, New Mexico we decided to head south to warmer pasture. This is where we ended up on US-60 and encountered people, places and things that we did not knew about.

These roads will be just a starting point but ultimately it will be my heart and the bike that will be the compass in this journey. The thought brings up memory of the best of times Lizrdbrth and I had been him always saying "let's see where that road goes". I want to continue that spontaneous sense of adventures that we once shared

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey little sister...
If you get up Spokane way on your trip, I would love to pay for accommodations at a nice hotel for you so you can get a days rest in or a good nights sleep if you would like. You will always be dear to my heart and I would love to give you a hug someday if that's ok. I would need to know in advance so I could reserve you a room if possible. I am so proud of you and how you are doing... God Bless you little sister.. :)

#5 ·
Hello Gina, welcome mat is out here on your Lonliest Road phase. Spare room or creekside campsite, hot showers and home cooked meals can be part of a pitstop between Reno and Lake Tahoe destinations a bit off Hwy 50. As I am sure others will be doing I would love to share suggestions for not-to-be-missed sights, experiences and over-nighting locations. Have a good trip!

#6 ·
gina,
you have so many wondrous and adventurous roads in front of you. having just returned from southern utah, i'd throw it out there that swinging through moab, and the associated national parks (arches, canyonlands, capitol reef, bryce and zion)... wow! would be worth your while.

i'd hope that some of us norcal nut jobs could accompany you on a stretch of the west coast.

good luck and godspeed.

joe band

#7 ·
Given that I'm trying to move out of Gettysburg I might need a bit of notice when you swing this way. The house is a bit small but my sister and I can make sure you get a good hot meal at least.

If your travels run you through the Allegheny National Forest (where I'm moving back to) in the realm of Clarion, Leeper, or Marienville, PA way I can do you better with a place to stay and a decent set of tools to fix any broken bits too.

Fair winds be with you and keep us posted

#8 ·
Oregon Trail-Hwy 20 is about 4-5 miles south of me. If you're in need of a shower/rest/food/sleep or just meet close by to say I, we'll be up for that. I'll have to watch your schedule.

#11 ·
Gina,
If and when you get towards central NY get hold of me. Warm bed somewhere along your route and maybe a shared meal with you as a guest of my family. I will be following along closely so just a heads up in advance and maybe I could follow along for a few miles:) If you don't make it my way then enjoy your adventure and stay safe. Take care.

Tom

#12 ·
Thank you everyone! I really appreciate all of the loves and supports. This will be an amazing and heartfelt year long journey for me. I know that Lizrdbrth (aka Russ) is smiling up above watching you guys watching over me.

I hope to connect with as many of you guys that I can on this trip.

Stay tunes for more detail

#15 ·
I think you're correct on that assumption...The start of the trip on the way to Flagstaff for the Overland Expo, I will be meeting up with other riders to do Grand Canyon and onto to Flagstaff.

#20 ·
Not trying to hijack this thread, but is there a contact list on here somewhere? The Moto Guzzi forum has/had one so you could access help if out on the road and you needed it. Just askin'.

#22 ·
I am hoping Gina will keep us posted as to her whereabouts so we can be there for her. If we know to expect her a couple days in advance to know where to meet her she will have a small parade of folks welcoming her.

Is the best part of this forum knowing that when you get there the folks will know the best places to eat, sleep, and places to enjoy.

#24 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm carrying an iPad with me on this trip and this is where I'm storing all of my contact info on a spreadsheet (sorted by State) so that when I know I'm heading into a particular state then I can call you or send an email. Some of you have been PM me your contact info.

I will be posting on my blog once a week and posting on twitter and instagram once a day. I will try to post here once a week as well with the link to my Spot so you can click on it anytime to see where I'm at.

I'm so looking forward to meeting all of you guys!

#58 ·
Hi everyone,

I will try to post here once a week as well with the link to my Spot so you can click on it anytime to see where I'm at.

I'm so looking forward to meeting all of you guys!
Spot Link?

#25 ·
Gina, you have quite the fan club around here for you!! You are dearly loved by all of us! Roll on little sister, more power to ya! ;)

#27 ·
I live in Nebraska and was just noticing that your proposed route on Highway 20, in the northern part of the state, is listed as being the route of the 'The Oregon Trail'.......it ain't! The route of the Oregon & Mormon Trails follow the Platte River valley across the central region of Nebraska on I-80. While I consider the Highway 20 route through the Sandhills to be MUCH more scenic & interesting than the FLAT tour through the endless corn & bean fields of the Platte Valley, that is a decision you will have to make for yourself. If you should decide to run on Highway 20, give me a shout.....I'm happily tucked into the rugged, wooded Missouri River bluff country of the northeastern corner of The Good Life State!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.