MOAB White Rim Trail Riders - Update - read!!!!!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: MOAB White Rim Trail Riders - Update - read!!!!!

MOAB White Rim Trail Riders - Update - read!!!!!

WRT riders - Looks like we lost another battle on access rights to "OUR" public land from the National Forrest Service!

Permits will be required as of Sept 1, 2015 and limit to 50 total vehicles (including cars, trucks, jeeps, buggies and motorcycles combined) and another limit of 3 motorcycles per group.
    Top that off with the fact that permits will have to be applied for on a first come first service with 24 hours advance notice if applying with NFS.

I really hate bureaucracy!

Day-Use Permits Now Required for Elephant Hill and White Rim Roads - Canyonlands National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
    1989 TW200 - replaced almost everything!

That is terrible news!
    Last edited by Fred; 07-31-2015 at 10:18 PM.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

I'm sure you can thank the greenies for that. Or the greenie-infested forest service.
    Hoot Gibson and SanDue like this.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The white rim was a challenge to do in one day, and to do it again I would like to do a camp out down by the green river before the trail hits higher country. That is about the halfway point. From camp to camp we, 5 of us, did it in 10.5 hrs. We all took a bit of extra gas, but Wa Larry didn't put a drop in his until we filled at the outskirts of Moab on the way back. He put 1.81 gal in his tank. I was sure he filled the bowl in the carb at the same time lol. We did stop a bit along the way to check out the sheer drops in the lower canyon, quite a site to see.

We did flog the bikes a bit, but starting in the canyon at 10am we needed to to get out before dark. All in all it was a great ride and I am anxious to do it again.

I look forward to doing this ride next year when we all meet in Moab. Though if we're camping, I may ride my DR650 since it's all setup for that sort of thing. Plus 6.6 gal gas tank == no fuel worries.
    plumbstraight, SanDue and TWilight like this.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

Love the bureaucratic doublespeak.. spit out from the Canyonlands Park PR machine's public comment section: "... the park will implement a day-use permit system as a tool for ... enhancing visitors opportunities to experience back-country roads." What? Reducing numbers of visitors somehow enhances the opportunities to experience these roads?
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Love the bureaucratic doublespeak.. spit out from the Canyonlands Park PR machine's public comment section: "... the park will implement a day-use permit system as a tool for ... enhancing visitors opportunities to experience back-country roads." What? Reducing numbers of visitors somehow enhances the opportunities to experience these roads?
    Might be a time to rethink our dates. As we are going earlier by a week, there might not be as many folks out there as it is still a bit frosty in the morns.

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    I look forward to doing this ride next year when we all meet in Moab. Though if we're camping, I may ride my DR650 since it's all setup for that sort of thing. Plus 6.6 gal gas tank == no fuel worries.
    You go ahead and take that 650 down into the canyon. First 20 miles is silt about a foot deep with ruts from jeeps and a high center to plow down through. I will take my nimble TW with what I need and breeze along. In my opinion, unless you are part giraffe and have long legs, keeping that bike upright will be a challenge.

We will just have to be flexible and delegate a few members to apply for 3-bike permits each on the internet starting @ 12:00:01 a.m. Mountain Standard Time each day in hope of beating local commercial tour companies for limited permits. The Canyonlands Park boundary begins in the silt beds plumbstraight mentions so impromptu trips to Mineral Bottom and then upstream on the Green to the roads end should still be free, feasible and entirely outside the park.
    plumbstraight and grewen like this.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

I hurt everytime I read about a closure or limit, I just do. In the end it's probably just a way for $$$. Guess some folks don't want to see other's enjoy riding/hiking etc. for free! Lots of flaws in my theory, but my base thought is still the same, closing and limiting hurts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links