TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Moab 2017 - Let's Get Organized!

60K views 573 replies 61 participants last post by  Allanb 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi!

Seeing Admiral's report, pics and video of Moab 2016 has got me inspired to write this. We have to get Moab 2017 organized! As I recall, this year it took someone saying "I'm going, who's coming?" to get it going. I'm probably not suited to be the leader, but if a few of you would join me to say "We're going" that might get it started. And if no one else joins we'll have a great time ourselves!

I strongly favor the week before Jeep Safari again. That would mean that in 2017 we would go Mar 30 to Apr 7 -- weather perhaps a little bit warmer than this year, which would be perfect. I am the sort of guy who has to get things on the calendar, however, before other things fill in and I find myself unable to go.

I could do Archview or the dry camp, as long as we GO.

It doesn't sound like we would have TWilight to help organize or Mel to cook next year. I'd do some cooking, but I won't spend every day shopping and cooking instead of riding like Mel did. I'm also not really equipped to cook for large groups like Mel is, nor am I prepared to subsidize the meals as was done this year. A breakfast or a dinner for a dozen I could handle, quite possibly more if we share the work and the expenses.

Let's do this! Who wants to go?

Dave

LATER NOTE: MARCH 30 TO APRIL 7 ARE THE DATES! HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL THERE! STAY TUNED TO THIS STATION!

See less See more
#2 ·
I plan to go around the same time of year as 2016 that weather was perfect in my opinion

I love the Archview camp and might even get a cabin again but I can camp in my rig and will be happy either way

I might even join the "dry" camp which in 2017 will be known as the "Cool" camp lol

The only thing I really wish we had was a nightly campfire for the group but perhaps there are burn bans that prohibit that

I don't need food prepared for me although I enjoy Mel's diner and would participate (purchase) if someone wanted to do that again

It's just a short quick run into Moab proper and I like to visit the city once a day while I'm there

Hell we've already got the decals made we have to go lol

Label Font Logo Signage Brand

#4 · (Edited)
Aye Aye - Poison Spider & Golden Spike here I come! Well, maybe.. Right now The Admiral and I can't commit to anything other than we are interested, just not for a whole week like we have in the past. We would be at the dry/north/cool camp.

There haven't been any burn bans in the past.. At the dry/north/cool camp we had a camp fire almost every night! It was so big some folks driving by stopped and joined us. Too bad more of the Archview group didn't come on over and enjoy it with us more often.

I would do all our (The Admiral's and my) cooking as I have done in the past. Having someone do all the cooking for people is nice but not necessary. Trying to get back to camp when there is a set time to eat can be a bit constraining on those of us who end up riding until dark thirty. We could do a "pot luck" kinda thing a couple of nights.

There isn't any need for someone to micromanage the planning process either. Choose the dates and where the main meeting place will be and things can progress from there.

#5 ·
checking the Archview rates they are much higher (still a deal for such a great place) than I paid through TWilights / Purples rate deal in 2016 I wonder if they negotiated a group rate ?

Something we should look into for the gang in 2017

#7 ·
While I partook of Mel's Diner previous years I did come prepared to be self-sufficient so packing food again is easy. And as Placerload points out restaurants abound in Moab, and Dry Camp's solo or impromtu group cook outs are easy. Shucks, I could grill up some lizards and snake, maybe set the snares for some of that famous Utah Jackalope. Hamburgers from store could be grilled w/o much effort. A disposable weber grill, bag of charcoal and folks can cook their own or host others to a treat. Dave could do a Dutch Oven creation one night....smores and polish sausages over the fire....we can make this work. Rock Wildlife Adaptation Goats Mountain goat
Propossed dates sound good, before Jeepers pound dust into finer dust.

#10 ·
It Is Proclaimed! March 30 to April 7

OK, it's on my calendar! March 30 to April 7! (Coming earlier &/or staying later would not be a problem, obviously.) I think that this time I'll plan to be a dry camper, and we should try to make the dry camp the social center, unless there is substantial sentiment to make another deal with Archview.

I have a nice portable Weber Baby-Q that can come along, no need for anything "disposable". I can also get one of those Camp Chef freestanding stoves like Mel used this year. As of now the plan will be for everyone to bring their own food, but sharing encouraged.

This fall I'll make another roster, but this time everyone will have to PM me to be on it, though everyone will be able to read it online.

A cool thing, in my opinion, if anyone is willing to teach, would be a "seminar" or three about TW maintenance and repair. Hands and tools on, of course.

PlacerLode, cool decals!

What a great way this will be to say goodbye to winter!

Dave

#13 · (Edited)
For the record, this is 3 weeks later than this spring's ride.

The Annual Easter Jeep Safari in Moab starts the weekend before Easter and ends on Easter Sunday.

Easter 2015...April 5th (We were there approx. March 19-27, with really good weather and a couple cold nights)
Easter 2016...March 27th (We were there approx. March 10-18, with good weather and many cold nights)
Easter 2017...April 16th...if we keep the same trend of the week before the Jeeps, it would be March 30-April 7, the latest yet.
Future Easter dates: Easter Dates In The Coming Years

For those wanting to do an Autumn 2016 gathering, I would recommend you go back to the http://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-off-road-adventure-riding/15173-moab-2016-a.html thread and continue posting plans there, as it is still 2016, still relevant, and still a sticky.

For those that think they will be a little chilly, maybe add some base layers to your http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/17765-holiday-wish-list-moab-themed.html. p.s. this linked post includes my "best Moab set up" tips.

Also, for write-ups, pictures and videos of Moab this spring and my extra week in Utah, click: https://leisuretimelarry.wordpress.com/category/travel/utah/

#14 ·
I don't recall being frequently uncomfortably cold in 2016 and I camped out a total of 9 nights including detours on way there and back. Sure there were chilly moments but good clothing choices helped. Snow level in the nearby La Sal mountains was understandably lower ~March 15th, 2016 than ~March25th, 1015 so a few weeks later in 2017 might be just fine.
Just come prepared. Polypropylene base layers, fleece, and layers both for on and off TW are good ideas. Fleece cap limit heat loss for us who are hair impaired. I wanted more than just mesh in 2015 so came with textile coat too in 2016.

#15 ·
As I said, I personally thought the weather was perfect this year - if anything sometimes a bit too warm with riding gear on during the day. It did get chilly at night. In my canvas-sided popup pickup camper I ran an electric heater at night (thanks, Archview, for the electricity). Next year will be three weeks later, so perhaps a bit warmer. If I dry camp I'll have an extra blanket, and run my propane furnace when I get up in the morning. I can't really use it for sleeping as it's too loud when it cuts on.

#16 ·
Weather wise I was never cold but sometimes too hot while riding. I wanted to wear my new protective gear and some days it was just too hot I had to peel everything off Most of the days I opened up the zipper vents and it was perfect for me. A few rain showers that I enjoyed but I did have the deluxe cabin and it was so comfy I was a bit spoiled lol. I'd prefer a little colder as opposed to hot in Moab all the locals warned about how unfun Moab is in the heat

#22 ·
Larry and Moab riders. My 2009 TW is now set up similar to Larry's except for the carb jet and shims. Mine is stock, but runs perfect here in Olympia, WA area (sea level) and at Capital Forest elevations (1000 feet +). Did the riders with stock carb set ups have that much of a problem at Moab elevations to require me to alter a good running TW? I hate to touch a carbs that has no issue now.

#23 ·
Don't touch a thing! Mile high or so elevations around Moab should be fine for stock. If not then you can always change on site with a little closing of the mixture screw.

#24 ·
I agree with Fred.

#28 ·
:laughing4:

#35 ·
I really enjoyed the deluxe cabin at Archview it had a kitchen, shower and cable TV very clean and comfortable for $600 per 10 days. On their website it's about $850 for 10 days so I might call them and see if we could get a similar group rate for 2017 and if we can I'd be really tempted to stay there again

#33 ·
I certainly don't want to miss the ride for 2017. Unless something crazy comes up I'm making the trek to Moab! :eagerness:

I would dry camp with that group, unless the wife comes, then maybe have to find something a bit more comfy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.