TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Ride to Silver City Idaho

12K views 38 replies 11 participants last post by  sscooter 
#1 ·
First I'd like to say I purchased a 2009 TW200 last October. I have put 1000+ miles on it

and enjoy it very much. Seems like a great forum here with good information.

Took a ride today to Silver City and thought I'd share my track saved from my Garmin Dakota.

It's about a 20 mile ride from where I started, there are many other roads and trails but

my goal was silver city and I made it. The views are fantastic you start out at 2800 feet

and rise to 6800 feet. Sorry no pictures they are stuck on my Cell phone. I have no idea

if the files I posted will be any help or not I am using Mapsource and Idaho topo which can

be download from the internet if you search it.

So from Nampa you go South to Murphy, Turn right on Rabbit Creek road 1 mile down there is room

to park on the left. Unload and have fun.

The ride has it all in my opinion. There are places to go fast, then you must go slow if you value

your body and your ride, then you need to have some fancy climbing skills.

gdb file

gpx file

Before you click to start download be warned that mediafire has a small box to uncheck so your not being

slammed with free stuff? I don't know what else to call it right now.

See less See more
#2 ·
I take it you live in Idaho? Perhaps you'd like a riding buddy? I live in Meridian and am just now getting to know some of the areas good for off-road TW riding. Another Idaho TW rider - "Admiral" on this board and I are taking a trip tomorrow (8/25). Had we come across you earlier, we could have invited you too. Drop me a line!

#3 ·
Silver City and the surrounding area is a great place to ride, especially when the temps are hot down in the treasure valley.

Here is a mine entrance underneath a roadbed going up War Eagle Mountain.

Here is another of Silver City.

Loads of things to see in the area. Thanks for sharing.

#6 ·
yes, yes we should do an Idaho ride. I was just thinking of this earlier today when I saw so many Idaho riders here.

What do you guys think of a Rocky Canyon, Robie, Clear Creek, Grimes Creek, Pine Creek, Shafer Butte, Bogus Basin, back to Boise run before the snow flies.

#7 ·
shadow,

Sounds like a good idea. I have driven most, but not all of those roads in a truck, but not on the TW. I'm riding/camping with the wife this weekend near Hawley Mtn. area, hope we don't upset the bow hunters! Well, if they are hunting close to a road what do they expect!

After that, I can possibly make arrangements except I'm not available on Thursday or Friday's (daughters sports activities). Throw out some dates/times and we can see if some of the other Idaho TW'ers are game.

#16 ·
I see I'm not the only one up this early!

Kris, Sandhollow, (Admiral).

Close enough to make it, but depends on the night. I'll wait and see what you city folk decide. Working swing shift and have rolling days off during the week, but have to dodge kids school activities (Tue, Thur, and Fri).

#17 ·
OK, that's four of us (and per the demographic survey we have six Idaho riders, (so perhaps the other two are not in the Treasure Valley area - I recall we have an Idaho rider in the northern part of the state and another in the Hailey area, so that would be the group I'm guessing).

For the four of you who've checked in, Admiral, Shadow, Idaho04, and me (Truelight), shall we pick a date and place? If the idea is to ride our bikes, maybe a weekend day rather than a weekday evening might be better (especially for Admiral who has to come in from Sand Hollow). Of course just to get together for a "meet and greet" wouldn't require that you ride your TW, you could drive. My thought is that we simply get together to meet and possibly plan another ride for a different time.

So, lemme throw something out... How about 1:00 p.m. this Saturday (9/18. If Admiral is riding his bike in that would allow him daylight hours to make the ride over and back. Cheerleaders Sports Bar and Grill on Eagle Road has a good varied menu and is easy to find.

Whatja think??

#20 ·
OK then guys, we have three of the four "locals" - me, (Truelight) Shadow, and Admiral. I hope Idaho04 will join us too. That will be this Saturday (9/18) at 1:00 p.m. at Cheerleaders Grill and Bar on Eagle Road in Meridian. Ride your TW if that will work for you, but if not, that's OK. Just come and swap a few tales with the rest of us. See ya there!

- I will also post this as a general invite as a new thread in the General section in case we have some other local Idaho riders we've not yet identified. -

#21 ·
Sorry I was late on the uptake. Been distracted with family issues. Silver is a great place to ride. We usually go further up Rabbit Creek Road towards Reynolds Creek to just below the big rock outcrop (6 miles or so) and start from there. You can go over the next ridge on the main road to Black Mountain Road and ride to Silver from there, too. There are several routes for varied skill levels. If you do another get together I would be interested in joining in. I'm in south Nampa, so I can travel to Boise about anytime, although we go ride somewhere on either Friday or Saturday on most weekends.

#23 ·
So I did not provide some photos of my trip. I made it again so here you go.

I almost always forget a camera. There are many rocks to navigate. The first trip

I bottomed out plenty of times. This trip I knew what was a head of me and

enjoyed it a lot.

This part of the trip has some route choices

House for sale?

Steeper then it looks

Fresh water anyone?

This last photo was just outside Silver City

#24 ·
It seems like only yesterday that I last rode in the SC area, but come to think about it, it's been about 4 years or more. I've been up yonder in the truck with the family, just not on the TW.

My riding in the area has mostly been in the War Eagle area and on the ridge south of SC on the roads. Your photo's seem to be trails, which I'm not familiar with. They look pretty technical and one has to pick the correct line or you get to get bounced around over rocks like you mentioned your first ride was like.

I did start out on a trail at New York Summit once, but turned around cause it was time to leave, and I was afraid of getting myself in a pickle. At the beginning of this trail there was a steep and sandy incline turning right as you go up that I was pretty concerned about thinking I wouldn't make it. Before my attempt, I saw a couple of UTV's struggling to get up the incline so I didn't think I would make it. I gave it a shot anyway, made it up, but not without plenty of wheel spin. I was dreading coming back down that trail because of all the loose sand, but I took it slow and ended up ok.

I use to be able to drive all the way up Reynolds Creek road, but the land owners put no trespassing signs. It was a pretty drive. Now I think you have to turn left at the old stage rd. and a right up Black Mountain Rd. (I think this is the name of it. Anyway I took Black Mtn road once, but since have always gone the easy way from Murphy.

I loved your last photo with fall colors starting to set in. Makes me want to take a trip up their now. Been up there in the spring and summer months, but not in the fall. Thanks for the photo's...and the inspiration.

#26 ·
Thanks for sharing the photos and GPS files!

Nice to be able to see someones tracks and which roads don't just deadend.

Might have to add Silver City to my wife and I's ride next year. Planning on a 2 week Idaho loop.

BTW... We are up here in North Idaho.

#27 ·
Hey, looks like I have become "wagon-master' for a ride to Silver on Saturday (10/2). It's a mixture of bikes and four wheelers. We're meeting at Dan's Ferry Service (Walters Ferry) on SH45 at 8:30 am. We're doing lunch at the hotel and just riding a few trails. We'll go in past Tiddy Springs then hang left and go up on top to Black Mountain road. We have some novice riders going so will look at mostly beginner to easy intermediate routes. If any of you are in the neighborhood and want to join us, you are quite welcome. We'll leave the Ferry and head out to ride at 8:45. PM me if you want more info.

Been fighting the carb battle on the TW. Thought I had it whipped but it screwed up again, so will clean it out one more time. May have to take the four wheeler if I can't get it cleared up.

#29 ·
Truelight-

I am giving up the TW but not riding. I am switching to an old love, DR350. But, if you need, I have a hitch mounted motorcycle carrier that I use maybe 2 times a year and you are more than welcome to use as well if you have a rig that will handle the weight. Let me know. I will be out of town this weekend but am normally around during the week.

Harlan

841-five148

#30 ·
...I have a hitch mounted motorcycle carrier that I use maybe 2 times a year...

I'm thinking of buying one of these and wonder if perhaps I could use yours as a way of testing one out? For that matter, perhaps you'd like to sell yours? I have a Ford Explorer Sport Trac with a 2" receiver that is rated for 500 lbs tongue weight and so I'd think it should handle the weight just fine. Where could I meet you to give this thing a try?

Rick - 888-29-eight-3

#32 ·
Hey Truelight, wish you could have made the ride! We ended up with a mixed bag for a group. Ages from 12 to won't admit (I think he's 64 but he tries to act 24). Bikes and four wheelers were just as mixed: 1974 Yamaha TT500, 1984 Honda XL500, 1991 Yamaha RT100, 1999 Honda XR650 converted to Dual Sport, 2008 Polaris 800 Sportsman, and my trusty 1988 Yamaha Big Bear 350 (wasn't able to get the dang TW going in time). We started from the parking area about six miles up towards Reynolds Creek. Went up over the ridge into Tiddy Creek then up towards Black Mountain Road. Little guy on the Rt did pretty good for not having ever been on a ride outside of a small flat riding park. He crashed a couple of times but caught himself all but once. We hit a rocky section and when he lost it he came down hard on his knees and the tears started. Stepdad got him to the top of the rough section and was bringing up the RT when it's chain broke. Wouldn't you know it.... no spare master links for it! We left the bike in some brush and the kid climbed on the back of the Polaris ( I offered him a ride on the old Big Bear but no go, he wanted to ride on the cushy Polaris!). While we were re-organizing by the Sno-Tel site three guys on newer XRs came by and asked for directions so I gave them a quick overview of what we could see including the Delamar Mine, War Eagle Mountain, and the location of Silver City. I suggested they hit the Hotel for a burger if they got a chance and they headed off. We gathered up and made our way the 5 or 6 miles into Silver City and ran into the XR guys at the Hotel. They were grateful for the advice on the lunch stop. After lunch we checked around town to see if we might find a #40 master link but no luck. One of the homeowners we talked to turned out to be a guy I had done some custom farming for about 25 years ago! We were able to get cell service so stepdad called his wife and had her pick some parts up and bring them out to us. Nothing like a 100 mile round trip parts run to show your kid you love him! While we were waiting we went up on War Eagle and checked out a couple of old mines, the radio towers, and the Fairview Cemetery. A lot of the road was graded glass smooth, as they are hauling tailings out to be reprocessed. Met the XR group on our way up. They were all smiles and having a blast too. On the way back out our Dual Sport rider went into a corner a little hot and did a broad slide towards the edge of the road. Thankfully there was a berm to bounce off of, so he was able to gather it up without crashing. Made it back to the main road and headed down towards the highway to meet parts runner mom. Only went about 5 miles and met her. She must have really been cruising! Grabbed the parts and headed back to the top of the ridge. We took the trail back to the stashed bike without any more mishaps. Took about 10 minutes to fix and adjust the chain. Stepdad learned a bit about the virtue of spare parts! Headed back to the rigs by way of Black Mountain Road. Was leading the pack so trying to watch the group and the rocky trail both. Happened to look back to make sure everybody was ok and turned back around to find a doe on a dead run crossing 15' in front of me. Thought for a second I was going to be the one with the "worst crash" story! Rest of ride out was pretty uneventful. Kid was still a little gun shy so never shifted out of second gear (10 mph all the way to Reynolds Creek Road). Just before we got to the rig I spotted three wild horses and showed them to the kid. He thought they were cool! He will have a lot to tell his friends at school on Monday.

All in all not a bad ride: 78 miles of trails and gravel roads, no mangle bodys or bikes, just a few old guys with the usual aches and pains. Everybody wants to do it again once it rains a bit to settle the dust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.