CornShield African Adventure Number 2
Close

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree601Likes

Thread: CornShield African Adventure Number 2

CornShield African Adventure Number 2

After a year I'm back on the road again for a month and I started it all by going to the beautiful Drakensberg mountains in South Africa with its stunning views is known as the little Switzerland of Africa.

I travelled 225 miles to my destination and I had some cross-winds and head-winds most of the way which meant that my fuel consumption was high but luckily I carried extra fuel so that I was able to refuel next to the road on this photo.

I tried to fit the truck into the photo as it was coming past at 70 mph and I was able to press the shutter button at just the right time!

The countryside was just an amazing beautiful green all along the way

There was a couple of Harley's along the way, BMW GS and then met this guy at a fuel station next to the road with his brand new BMW with only 2000 miles on the clock, we had a cup of coffee and a nice chit chat before I continued with my journey.

The small country town of Harrismith with beautiful old buildings, from there it was another 60 miles into the mountains before I arrived at the Amphitheatre Backpackers Lodge.

At the Backpackers I met another biker who's been travelling 70 000 miles with his BMW, going all over Southern Africa

and last but not the least the Cornshield with the backdrop of the mountain range where there is enough hiking trails to keep you busy for a long time, and on top of that many camp sites, B & B and Hotels

1990 Yamaha TW200Hidden Content _____________ Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. - Matthew 11:28
    Hidden Content

Thanks for sharing your adventure, keep it coming. I like how the town of Harrismith is built without overhead power lines. Are most of your towns done this way?

Glad to see you traveling again, Cornelis! I'm looking forward to more. Fighting a headwind really kills the gas mileage...there's been a couple of times that I've had to use my spare gas to make what should have been an easy distance between gas stations.

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Spotwalla: Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The answer is yes, over here in South Africa most of the towns and suburbs have the power lines underground which really works out well
    1990 Yamaha TW200Hidden Content _____________ Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. - Matthew 11:28
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelis View Post

After a year I'm back on the road again for a month and I started it all by going to the beautiful Drakensberg mountains in South Africa with its stunning views is known as the little Switzerland of Africa.

Backpackers Lodge.

I've been to Switzerland before and it looks different. ha ha

Nice to see the roads aren't much different than here in the states...pothole patches and all! See, we aren't all that different!

Mountain range in the distance also reminds me of some of our desert mountains to the south and west of me. Manicured camping lawn, not as much! Looks warm in the photos.

Go Go Go brother Corn!!
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Wow nice adventure. Thanks for sharing.
    Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper Bars one with risers, DG oval pipes. rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Aserbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

You mean the truck didn't stop to fill you up?Image00002.jpg
    Cornelius's Cornshield ( Homemade windscreen to deflect wind, bugs and wildebeasts) is holding up really well after a year.
    Very nice ride report so far...what next as you are in beautiful country.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

Fred my friend, you don't wanna know what's up next for me . . . .

It's officially called the Mother of all mountain passes in the Southern Africa region . . . . .Click Here to have a look

My new friend Keith tried to go up 2 days ago and he had to turn around about 500 yards from the top . . . . .

Seriously, his bike started to slip and slide on the loose sand and gravel and he couldn't go on any more but then you also have to take into consideration that a 500 pound BMW GS plus him weighing over 200 pounds makes this an impossible venture!

Go to Sani Pass Drakensberg? you win! ? Wild Crazy Beautiful to read the full article

I want to attempt this end of this week or early next week but I'm sure the TW Cornshield will be up to the task. For the next couple of days I just want to ride around visiting some waterfalls and mountain streams and maybe do a bit of hiking and chilling next to the pool to work on my tan which is pretty much non-existent at the moment!
    Hidden Content

Wow, what a ride with countless switchbacks as you climb up and above the mountain mists. Impressive!
    Looks like you climb to 3340 meters high or so at the pass and the Lesoto border where the road then becomes paved.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links