QUARTZSITE, AZ January 2017 - Page 9
Close

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Like Tree180Likes

Thread: QUARTZSITE, AZ January 2017

dang, it was this last weekend. Thats what I get for staying home this last winter, setting up a tw, among other things. Its on the calendar for next year!
    When you say quartzite is a central location to 4 major towns and cities, which besides phoenix are you referring to?
    Love to be an hour away from ben avery and rio salad. Cz custom shop, apex, etc, etc, is in phoenix now.
    Liked the look of Quartsite when I was there, any town where you can ride a quad down the main streets must be pretty good!
    littletommy and Ken like this.

Yuma to south 80 miles, Lake Havasu to the north 80 miles, Indio to the west in California, Phoenix is a little over a 100 depending what part of town you want. I think to Ben Avery was 130-150 depending how you go.

While I was typing this two sxs went by on our street.
    littletommy likes this.

Got it. Be fun to hook up with ya next winter. Headed north of you to Flagstaff for expo in May, little late on the snobirding this year. This retirement thing will take a few years to figure out!!
    littletommy and Ken like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

We have been stopping in Williams or Grand Canyon on our way back to Illinois the last several years.

Some good riding south of Grand Canyon boundaries. Also south of Williams. Lots of free camping in both places in the forests.
    Last edited by rmartin; 04-06-2017 at 06:06 AM.
    Tweaker and littletommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
    We are in Wellton, AZ (east of Yuma), I could meet up with some TW'ERS, if you don't mind a XT250.
    My sister lives there
    littletommy likes this.

We stop two places in MO on way home. North of Branson and Iberia, MO. Usually in June sometime.

Kofa (Eric) was out here for about a week, he is heading home in the morning.

We got in 3 rides, one to a large water storage pit se of Quartzsite, one to Big Foot sw of town on the power line trail, and one ne of town to the foothills. A little inner a 100 miles total.

Pretty nice weather for riding. Most all the vendors have shut down, and the 17 exit off of 10 is getting ready for revamping to help traffic flow.

Snakes, lizards, and transilaus are all out with numerous sightings.
    littletommy and Mel like this.

Still down in Quartzsite. Last week I put the new front tire on. Need to do the back tire before we head back to Illinois.

I get up at 5:30 work on painting the trim on house and most other home activities. If you wait until after 9 the air is so dry the paint scums over in the paint bucket.

Any my tools you layout and are in the sun you can't pick up most of the rest of the day. The neighbor keeps his tools in a bucket of water during the day or under an awning. It isn't even hot hear yet.

i used the new grill last week, and use a thermal gun to check the meat. Checked the concrete where I was grilling, and it was 126.5 degrees, and it is not hot hear yet.

From about 9-5 I work a trip to get mail which is a 3 mile trip into anywhere from a 10 to 30 mile ride taking in a trip around town and a loop out into the desert. Don't go to far as I am by myself.

Saw. 4 foot bull snake yesterday trying to cross the road in front of me. I have seen 2 this size this year. They say they can kill the rattlers. Haven't seen alive rattler yet this year, but about 4 the size of a pancake on the roads.
    Mel and Dryden-Tdub like this.

The days are coming down to hours when we will be leaving Quartzsite.

A couple of weeks ago we went to Havasu to see the big boats before they raced. One had 3 400 horse outboards on it.

Got the back tire changed got 15,300 miles on it, and replaced it with another stock one. So this year out here I replaced both tires, sprockets, chain, spark plug, and air filter.

I road out through the heavily camped areas where 1000's camp and saw two campers.

Things certainly change here in a few months.

They have added two crosswalks in town the people can press a button to cross. The exit 17 is progressing on south side. They have dirt on both sides hauled in and have now staked out the north side. Poor BK will have more noise as the road will be at least anoth 20 feet closer, and the bevel to the ramp will be right next to the drive through window.

Haven't seen any live snakes the last few weeks. Just road kills.

The last 6 tanks of gas I averaged 99+ mpg traveling 1290 miles. I filled up every 215 miles. I put in 89 octane instead of 87 and mpg jumped right 9 more mpg. That Clark tank I would switch to reserve around 200 miles.
    Last edited by rmartin; 05-19-2017 at 05:46 AM.
    Dryden-Tdub, admiral, Mel and 2 others like this.

I left Quartzsite on 21st of May and spent a week at Williams, AZ and road forest road loops south of town, and ventured to new areas north of town.

We took the train to Grand Canyon, and there are trails you could see close to the tracks all the way there. I have ridden many trails in the forest outside of the Canyon, mostly forest roads. All are very scenic. I took a couple of logging roads south of Williams, a little more challenging, as some had been used during wetter times leaving huge ruts.

our next stop was north of Branson, MO In Saddlebrooke. That is a very wealthy town. Looked like most lots were 5 acres and houses at least $500,000. Located in rolling hills and forests. I road gravel and oil roads in that area. Surprising how many water crossings on those roads, just like in the desert, but these actually have water flowing. One I did not cross, but you see the road as it curved to the other side, probably 100 feet or more. Water was cleat, but riding by myself I turned around. I could see many people not getting out for a day after rains, or even not getting home at night. As steep as the hills are I image run off is quick.

I'm not at a cattle farm located in Iberia, MO where I raked hay and gathered the 1000 lb bales up for next winter.

I have taken a number off loop rides here over the years, again many water crossings, but they have all been dry this year. Still fun gravel roads windy and hilly. A few dogs to out run. 3 dogs in one place, but they all fell over themselves try to get a better advantage. Makes the hair on your neck stand up.

Next stop back in flat corn country of Illinois where we call Hoopeston, IL our summer home.

Approaching 16,000 miles on the TW now. The new tires make a difference on the handling I have noticed.
    Last edited by rmartin; 06-16-2017 at 06:21 AM.
    littletommy likes this.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Sponosred Links