Anyone know Pachaug State Forest in Connecticut? - Page 4
Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Anyone know Pachaug State Forest in Connecticut?

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden-Tdub View Post
    Getting a Harley ready then?

Tom
    I was thinking he owned a Ural....
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Ha, I'm the Ural guy.

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    And Mike's Ural is freaken cool.
    Ken likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

So a close friend and co-worker's Dad caught a heart attack. Arrangements are being made. Saturday won't work for me now whether my wife is working or not. Always something I guess.
    But since this was sprung kinda last minute how about next week on Saturday, April 15th. Does that work for you and others. Weather permitting of course.
    That's plenty of notice.
    Smitty Blackstone and Ken like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    So a close friend and co-worker's Dad caught a heart attack. Arrangements are being made. Saturday won't work for me now whether my wife is working or not. Always something I guess.
    But since this was sprung kinda last minute how about next week on Saturday, April 15th. Does that work for you and others. Weather permitting of course.
    That's plenty of notice.

Sorry to hear that, Stagewex. Next weekend is Easter, so that doesn't work for me. Then we are heading to AZ/MX for some riding for a few weeks. First weekend we're back will be Mother's Day, so that's another no go. Next available is May 20th.
    The weather looks great for the weekend...but it's gonna be wet after the rain yesterday! I'll be sticking to the high ground as much as possible.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Spotwalla: Hidden Content

So, I went out for a ride today, leaving from home and heading in a general "Pachaug-ish" direction.... never did make it there, though......

The steams were high, after all the rain we've gotten over the last week....

a little mud in spots, but not bad.

...only a single blowdown to go around.... as a matter of fact, a lot of old ones had been cleared....

This road is pretty tough....Mrs Trip has ridden in as far as here, where you can see the cranberry bogs through the trees.... but I've never led her though to the end....

More water.... if you can see it about 15 feet in, there's an old culvert built with flat stone slabs that used to drain this road...probably 300 years ago.....

Steep in spots....up and down into the "hollows"...

...all the streams are high.....

There is a steep part towards the end of this road before it comes back out onto pavement. I always find it tough. I climbed a few hills along the way today, and after each one, I said, "that wasn't as bad as I remembered", thinking it was the tough one.... but when I reached it, I knew right away....

I hit it in second, ...its hard to find a line between all the big rocks, and steeper than it looks. Started to lose momentum...should have banged into first, but I was into the rocks and bouncing. Bang. One of those suckers stopped me dead, and I went over the bars. Right about here....

I picked the bike up, stuffed a rock under the kickstand. SH*T! Controls are all askew. I still have at least a third of the hill to go. Worst of all, Mrs Trip expressly said "Don't hurt yourself if you're riding alone!"
    Uh-oh. But I made it the rest of the way, and got out the tool kit once I reached pavement. Adjusted the levers. When I got home, I repositioned the bars in the risers and realigned the levers.
    I'm icing the thumb as I write this.....

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Spotwalla: Hidden Content

Hardcore!!! I want you to lead me through places like that when I get out there this Spring.. Just the kind of woodsy riding I would like. That stony beat up road looks exactly like the old Kings Highway in Wolcott CT. My bud led me through there last year and it was loose chunk just like that, bouncing from rock to rock standing on the pegs to keep balance.

Hope you hand heals up quickly, muscle strains suck. I get them almost every time I hit the ground on my mountain bike. I don't bounce back fast like I used to after a crash, nowadays I only bounce.
    2013 Yamaha TW200 (Current) - Shinko SR41, Enduro Mirrors, Seat Concepts Foam and Cover, Generic Handguards (GOOFIT) requiring 5+ hours of diddling to install......You've been warned.
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (sold) Fun for a year, then mega garage DUST collector
    1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk (sold) FUN - but became a dust collector
    1984 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk (sold) Primary transportation for almost 5 years
    Various other 2 wheel rolling junk not worthy of mention....

I'm thinking Pachaug for Saturday around 10am and ride for a few hours before any chance of rain in the afternoon. I'll be parking at Dow and Spaulding, as long as that lot isn't full, and enter the forest from there.

I assume there will be red arrows indicating the enduro loop? Haven't been in there before, so I'll wing it.

EDIT: DRATTED RAIN, always messing up a plan
    Last edited by ToolmanJohn; 05-05-2017 at 04:40 AM.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200 (Current) - Shinko SR41, Enduro Mirrors, Seat Concepts Foam and Cover, Generic Handguards (GOOFIT) requiring 5+ hours of diddling to install......You've been warned.
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (sold) Fun for a year, then mega garage DUST collector
    1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk (sold) FUN - but became a dust collector
    1984 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk (sold) Primary transportation for almost 5 years
    Various other 2 wheel rolling junk not worthy of mention....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponosred Links