Solo adventure trip from Connecticut to the Darien Gap in Panama (and back)
Close

Like Tree20Likes
  • 4 Post By LuvNot
  • 4 Post By ToolmanJohn
  • 5 Post By RockyTFS
  • 5 Post By BkCntryCrwlr
  • 1 Post By mountain yawp
  • 1 Post By grewen

Thread: Solo adventure trip from Connecticut to the Darien Gap in Panama (and back)

Solo adventure trip from Connecticut to the Darien Gap in Panama (and back)

Thought this was interesting. It's long, but do like I did and watch it at 2x speed. I tend to watch most YouTube vlogs at 2x and enjoy them more .

My first impression was the guy whines a lot. HOWEVER, he did something so totally outside of his comfort zone and all without a solid plan or a map, that I realize I would whine too. He went through some scary situations in unfamiliar territory and got through it all. He set a goal, headed into the unknown, was scared shitless many times, but adapted, overcame, and achieved his goal. Worth a quick watch.

One thing I wonder, though... Is the KLR650 really that fragile, or is it just this guy's inexperience that led to so many breakdowns???
    Last edited by LuvNot; 02-05-2017 at 01:00 PM.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2011 Genuine Scooter Co Blur 220i - 1996 & 1999 Yamaha TW200
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

I've contemplated a solo epic motorcycle trip. But... Age (?wisdom?) has convinced me that I wouldn't care for it. Riding solo for 100's of miles a day, simply for the sake of distance or destination is boring. The trip must be shared and planned for daily excursions to see interesting things. he would have better off finding a riding partner first.

Plus he should have made some weekender trips for several months to test his rig for reliability !!! I mean really, using an untested machine, didn't know how to repair a tube??? He was right to be so worried and nervous all the time. What about GPS?? What about maps? Compass? How can he lose his way so many times??
    2013 Yamaha TW200 (Current) - Shinko SR41, Enduro Mirrors, Seat Concepts Foam and Cover, Generic Handguards (GOOFIT) requiring 5+ hours of diddling to install......You've been warned.
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (sold) Fun for a year, then mega garage DUST collector
    1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk (sold) FUN - but became a dust collector
    1984 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk (sold) Primary transportation for almost 5 years
    Various other 2 wheel rolling junk not worthy of mention....

[QUOTE=ToolmanJohn;487769.... How can he lose his way so many times??[/QUOTE]
    Must be under thirty.....
    Rocky
    2010 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ToolmanJohn View Post
    I've contemplated a solo epic motorcycle trip. But... Age (?wisdom?) has convinced me that I wouldn't care for it. Riding solo for 100's of miles a day, simply for the sake of distance or destination is boring. The trip must be shared and planned for daily excursions to see interesting things. he would have better off finding a riding partner first.

Plus he should have made some weekender trips for several months to test his rig for reliability !!! I mean really, using an untested machine, didn't know how to repair a tube??? He was right to be so worried and nervous all the time. What about GPS?? What about maps? Compass? How can he lose his way so many times??
    Riding with a good partner is always more enjoyable. However, 5700+ miles and 5 weeks of bouncing around from Alaska to Tennesee was well worth doing solo. My riding buddy got a new job and couldn't make it so my logic was that if I didn't go by myself I never would. No regrets on my side, I saw some gorgeous country and had a great time. Now that was back when I was young and could conquer the world. Or, so I thought!

As far as losing his way so many times...He's a guy, we always lose our way!!
    Mel, LuvNot, grewen and 2 others like this.
    You can't see it if you're not out there living it!

'94 Rainbow Warrior - not so rainbow any more - Clarke XT350 tank, Lizrdbrth's seat mod, Beer Trap Pegs, Ricochet skid plate and more.

Going through withdrawals, sold my other two TW's, down to one....Uhggghhh! Hidden Content

His video was a little long, but worth watching the whole thing if you're into that type of ride report. Much shorter than watching all of the episodes of Long Way Round.
    I think the guy is crazy for attempting such a trip as unprepared as he was, but glad he survived.
    SanDue likes this.

now there is a guy that needed a guide! he was depressing, up to the time he knew he was headed home
    methamphetasaur likes this.
    Greg
    2014 TW200
    2016 bolt
    1981 honda ct110
    1973 honda ct90

Sponosred Links