Help me find some new kicks for the wifey - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Help me find some new kicks for the wifey

Funny that's my exact situation with the alpine starts and why I ordered the Formas!

Quote Originally Posted by dette View Post
    I don't own Forma boots but they are on my list because everyone I know who has them seems to love them.

I can't seem to wear out the Alpinestar Tech 3's that I currently own...I actually like them but they are very stiff and not easy to shift or brake with. I've gotten used to them but I would not recommend them for someone who is still learning to ride because of the difficulty of knowing how to shift and not being able to tell if you are applying pressure to the rear brake. Another reason I would not recommend my Alpinestars is they have very difficult buckles (they may have improved over the years) that break my fingernails unless I use a tool; I use a cute little bottle opener key fob but what a pain.....they leak horribly too....I might be talking myself into a new pair of boots......lol
    dette and Ken like this.
    XT225 Serow... ON THE WAY TO ME NOW!!!! Yay
    TW200Z - 2010
    BW200 - 1986
    TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 - 2017

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJeeper View Post
    Funny that's my exact situation with the alpine starts and why I ordered the Formas!
    Be sure to let me know how you like them.
    JerseyJeeper and Ken like this.
    Currently enjoying a great mix...
    2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100, 2013 Yamaha TW-200 & 2014 Yamaha V-Star 950 TourerHidden Content

Be sure to let me know how you like them.
    Will do, tracking says the 13th..
    dette and Ken like this.
    TW200Z - 2010
    BW200 - 1986
    TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 - 2017

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Help me find some new kicks for the wifey

I don't own Forma boots but they are on my list because everyone I know who has them seems to love them.

I can't seem to wear out the Alpinestar Tech 3's that I currently own...I actually like them but they are very stiff and not easy to shift or brake with. I've gotten used to them but I would not recommend them for someone who is still learning to ride because of the difficulty of knowing how to shift and not being able to tell if you are applying pressure to the rear brake. Another reason I would not recommend my Alpinestars is they have very difficult buckles (they may have improved over the years) that break my fingernails unless I use a tool; I use a cute little bottle opener key fob but what a pain.....they leak horribly too....I might be talking myself into a new pair of boots......lol
    I had the tech 3's and they had the worst buckle system ever made. However all you have to do to fix them is take a small round file and file the plastic buckle holder a tiny bit. Then after that, spray each buckle with wd40 silicone lube (has to be the silicone one so you don't attract dirt) and they'll go from being the worst buckle system ever to one of the best.

Just be sure which one you're filing, it's the one that you have to pry the metal buckle out of.

I ended selling my tech 3's and getting tech 7's mainly because of the hinges and low foot toe box. The hinges really work well and allow movement. I thought about getting a more soft more flexible boot, but I know someone who destroyed they're ankle in a freak accident and it's just not worth it. He got his leg stuck between a rock and the peg when laying his bike down at slow speed.

What worries me about the forma adventure boots is the lack of lateral support. When I watched the guy in the video do what he does in the pic below it made me nervous.

Last edited by Deepseadan; 02-13-2017 at 12:04 AM.
    JerseyJeeper, Ken and dette like this.
    Current bikes 2016 KTM 500 EXC, 2016 Yamaha TW 200

Life shall always be a series of minor disappointments as we try to balance conflicting goals. Sure all the Adventure boots out there lack significant protection compared to an MX boot, and all the MX boots out there lack the comfort and tactile feedback of Adventure boots. One just has to decide which unsatisfiable goal one would rather bitch about...Comfort and versatility VS. bullet proof armour.

Personally I got tired of bitching about MX boot's ski-boot like clumsiness every time I stepped off the bike, the ease of tripping, inability to feel the shifter and brake pedal, the need to carry spare shoes if I wanted to get off the bike and do something once I arrived at my destination ( I do more than just ride to be riding, I ride to get somewhere and then un-ass and scamper around trying to have an adventure). Instead now I can bitch about possible risk of injury and disappointment in the boots if I ever do get an ankle injury. In the meantime I will continue to get constant gratification from the Forma's ongoing comfort which is more satisfying than just knowing my feet and ankles are well protected while I fumble around trying to correct the occasional uncommanded inadvertent downshift.

So pick your disappointment and revel in your chosen bitching. If I do get the ankle injury I'll likely beg the Emergency Room nurses to please do not cut off my Formas. I do know my abandoning of MX boots was cemented when last time I wore them I stepped back, caught a rock and fell over backwards before my clumsily MX booted foot could regain balance on an uneven surface . My helmeted head hit a rock pretty hard. That near accident retired both my helmet and the boots. Gave boots away, cut off chin strap and deep sixed the helmet.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by snojammer View Post
    I'm in the market for some riding boots for my wife. Any suggestions?? Regular motorcycle boots are so stiff. I was thinking about Doc Martins but thought I would throw a shout out and see if any of the ladies have a boot they love.. Thanks

Is she gonna ride off-road? If so it's probably better to be foot protected than it is to walk (see Fred's post). I broke my foot while not wearing the proper protective boot off-road when my foot hit a rock. Since getting my "stiff" off-road boots I've banged my feet many times on rocks only experiencing bruises. No broken footsies thank goodness.

If mostly on road or even tame forest service roads, you'd be fine with what everyone is mentioning.

Good luck!
    JerseyJeeper, mudbug and Ken like this.

Fred, that's exactly why I ordered the Formas. My MX boots were acting like a safety hazard at times. Getting on and off the bigger bike was scary because I couldn't bend my ankle enough to get me toes on the ground. Inadvertent shifts etc. Granted they weren't broken in but still. Time to try another option.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Life shall always be a series of minor disappointments as we try to balance conflicting goals. Sure all the Adventure boots out there lack significant protection compared to an MX boot, and all the MX boots out there lack the comfort and tactile feedback of Adventure boots. One just has to decide which unsatisfiable goal one would rather bitch about...Comfort and versatility VS. bullet proof armour.

Personally I got tired of bitching about MX boot's ski-boot like clumsiness every time I stepped off the bike, the ease of tripping, inability to feel the shifter and brake pedal, the need to carry spare shoes if I wanted to get off the bike and do something once I arrived at my destination ( I do more than just ride to be riding, I ride to get somewhere and then un-ass and scamper around trying to have an adventure). Instead now I can bitch about possible risk of injury and disappointment in the boots if I ever do get an ankle injury. In the meantime I will continue to get constant gratification from the Forma's ongoing comfort which is more satisfying than just knowing my feet and ankles are well protected while I fumble around trying to correct the occasional uncommanded inadvertent downshift.

So pick your disappointment and revel in your chosen bitching. If I do get the ankle injury I'll likely beg the Emergency Room nurses to please do not cut off my Formas. I do know my abandoning of MX boots was cemented when last time I wore them I stepped back, caught a rock and fell over backwards before my clumsily MX booted foot could regain balance on an uneven surface . My helmeted head hit a rock pretty hard. That near accident retired both my helmet and the boots. Gave boots away, cut off chin strap and deep sixed the helmet.
    Ken likes this.
    TW200Z - 2010
    BW200 - 1986
    TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 - 2017

When single tracking I always use my MX boots as opposed to my Work boots that took over road duty from the MX boots. The formas will serve that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Is she gonna ride off-road? If so it's probably better to be foot protected than it is to walk (see Fred's post). I broke my foot while not wearing the proper protective boot off-road when my foot hit a rock. Since getting my "stiff" off-road boots I've banged my feet many times on rocks only experiencing bruises. No broken footsies thank goodness.

If mostly on road or even tame forest service roads, you'd be fine with what everyone is mentioning.

Good luck!
    admiral and Ken like this.
    TW200Z - 2010
    BW200 - 1986
    TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 - 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    If you want lots of hugs and kisses for Valentines Day you can't go wrong with Italian leather. Gaerne and Forma both make excellent pliable and comfortable non-MX boots right out of the box. Look at their Adventure and Oiled Boot lines. My Forma Adventure boots are among the most comfortable shoes I own.
    Fred: These are the ones I just ordered, they just got here. Are they the ones you have? These seem real comfortable!
    IMG_5629.JPG

IMG_5630.JPG

IMG_5631.JPG
    mhomadness, Ken and littletommy like this.
    TW200Z - 2010
    BW200 - 1986
    TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 - 2017

I have same style as the lady, brown, waterproof w/ three buckles forma_0-2.jpg
    littletommy and JerseyJeeper like this.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponosred Links