Quick Death Valley Trip - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Quick Death Valley Trip

Good to know, thanks
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

I am heading to DV on the 20th of March with 8 friends on street bikes. First night in Hawthorne - 3 nights in Beatty and one night in Lone Pine. It looks like most of the DV area is open now except for Scottys Castle - it may be closed for over another year because of severe flooding and mud....I think we may get lucky and get there in the peak bloom - there's a week of warm wether before we get there.
    Next year I want to take the motorhome and the TW there! Maybe we can get a group going.

Donzo, for a taste of Dual Purpose on your in-and-out day rides from Beatty on street bikes maybe visit the Racetrack. Dusty washboard road but you can't really explore Death Valley without getting dusty.1.15773.jpg Eureka Dunes are another easy yet worthwhile destination.images.jpeg All this stuff looks best under low light angles. Go at dawn or stay until sunset.
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The Death Valley and surrounding areas "super bloom" are dependent on more than just heavy rainfall. But the extra water should help especially if we get some early warm but mild spring weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Donzo, for a taste of Dual Purpose on your in-and-out day rides from Beatty on street bikes maybe visit the Racetrack. Dusty washboard road but you can't really explore Death Valley without getting dusty.1.15773.jpg Eureka Dunes are another easy yet worthwhile destination.images.jpeg All this stuff looks best under low light angles. Go at dawn or stay until sunset.
    Will do, thanks for the tip Fred! We plan full days in the Valley - will definitely check these places out..

Quote Originally Posted by jtstdub View Post
    Guess it's just a cooling thing for the engine...and having something sitting that far out in front of the truck.

Question, is there a reason that your hitch extension is as long as it is? I have a rack and it sits 16" to the center of the track... So the cycle is very close to the rear of the truck.

Jim
    It does stick farther out than my last one, the ramp mounts inward so that might account for that, not bad when the bike is loaded. I drive a Diesel and live in the desert, I've crossed it at 120+ with my camper and bike pulling passes and never have a overheating problem, I do take care of my truck. The cooling fan might kick on but that's it
    jtomelliott49 and jtstdub like this.

Quote Originally Posted by like2wlz View Post
    I've never been to Death Valley but I have time to go 3rd week in April or I might to to Yosemite instead on way home from Moab. Is this supposed to be one of the wild flower "super bloom" years?
    From the looks of it there won't be much of a wildflower bloom this year, rain came at the wrong time, that has a lot to do with the bloom

Quote Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
    I am heading to DV on the 20th of March with 8 friends on street bikes. First night in Hawthorne - 3 nights in Beatty and one night in Lone Pine. It looks like most of the DV area is open now except for Scottys Castle - it may be closed for over another year because of severe flooding and mud....I think we may get lucky and get there in the peak bloom - there's a week of warm wether before we get there.
    Next year I want to take the motorhome and the TW there! Maybe we can get a group going.
    I doubt there will be much of a bloom this year due to rain that came at the wrong time. As of last week 90% of the roads in DV are still closed, the main tarmac roads are open and Artist drive might open as there were at least 10 belly dumps working it.

I'll let you guys know what we find...we are going either way - this is a fun group, we'll have a blast even if we can't get everywhere we would like to. I've heard conflicting info on the bloom this year - we'll see! Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it.

Have a great trip no matter what the dirt roads are like, just rip up the tarmac but fill up with gas outside the park. death-valley-panamint-valley-gas-prices.jpg
    Perhaps try to visit Darwin Falls if bored.darwinfalls1.jpg
    Save a little time to tour Alabama Hills when in Lone Pine? The Movie Road loop is good for street bikes if careful in the sandy areas.MovieRoad-04.jpgfilm_images.Par_.66872.Image_.-1.-1.1.jpg

Now I must ask Tuna if he sails his truck across the desert at 120 mph, or in 120 degree temperatures. Probably both.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links