The Admiral's Boonville Adventure - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: The Admiral's Boonville Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by mountain yawp View Post
    You might have said already, but we're you running an ATV rear tire or stock, and how did the ATV do if that is the case?
    Indeed I was using my Ceros ATV tire. It rode great and I felt no difference between it and a stock tire. I did not lose traction at all on the dry or wet pavement. ...but then again I'm not a footpeg dragger either.

Photo makes it look like there's little tread but that is an optical illusion. It's still has darn near "when new tread"!

Thanks for the tire info. Glad to hear it worked well. I may have to put one of those on someday, but I only have 800 miles on my stock tires. I do indeed have a 241 sitting in the garage to go on the front when I get some free time not spent riding.
    littletommy, admiral, Ken and 1 others like this.

Thanks for the tire info. Glad to hear it worked well. I may have to put one of those on someday, but I only have 800 miles on my stock tires. I do indeed have a 241 sitting in the garage to go on the front when I get some free time not spent riding.
    If it wasn't for riding in sand in Moab and the now potential of riding it here in Idaho, I wouldn't have changed to an ATV rear tire. I've found the Ceros helps me a lot riding in sand...a lot! It does really good in all trail conditions too it's just I wanted to be more comfy in sand. I guess I do remember it being better in a swampy trail I found myself in last year as well. I know with a stocker I would have been spinning and stuck but I do try to avoid mucky when I can.
    Ken, littletommy, Rider21 and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

In addition to the enhanced traction in silt, mud and sand ATV tires also help quite a bit in the snow.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

Fred and Admiral, you two are great salesmen for an ATV rear tire. I am wondering how the debate between you two would go over which one is best? Taking account for price, ease of mounting, traction, weight, clearance issues, and longevity?

Fred and Admiral, you two are great salesmen for an ATV rear tire. I am wondering how the debate between you two would go over which one is best? Taking account for price, ease of mounting, traction, weight, clearance issues, and longevity?
    Price=about the same.
    Ease of mounting=both difficult but in most cases, the Ceros bead does not need to be trimmed like the Duro (see comments below). Because of the stock rim size, you are somewhat limited in the size tire you can get. (see below comments about the tire mod)
    Traction=I have no side by side experience but it sounds like the Duro has a slight advantage in mud and snow because of its tread pattern. Both are way better than stock in sand. On road I'd give a slight advantage to Ceros because of it's more rounded profile but we don't ride them that much on pavement anyway.
    Weight=about the same
    Clearance=about the same when mounted on the stock rear rim with no swingarm extension. Swingarm clearance for both are way better with an extended swingarm. For the record, I'm still using the stock swingarm unmodified.
    Longevity=I'd guess about the same but tread life is still in progress. I've read because the tread is so much deeper they both will last a lot longer than stock tire.

I chose the Maxxis Ceros because it was the only one I had heard of where the bead did not have to be trimmed to mount it on the stock tire. Maybe not everyone, but surely most of those who mounted a Duro had trimmed the bead and a few even blew up on them with the extreme tire pressures needed to seat the bead. The one's which blew up were more likely because of the bead trimming but this is an educated guess.

I believe each of these are difficult to mount and one needs to read the procedures other have posted. For example, I read and re-read Wrench-Pullers very funny story for achieving success with the Ceros.

Now, if you go with the trailer modification for a rear ATV tire there are some changes to my above statements.
    With a trailer rim you are open to many more size options for both width and height. I'm about to complete the mod for my wife's TW and I was able to buy a narrower and shorter Ceros. This will help with swingarm clearance and weight. The negative side to this is the upfront cost of modifying an axle hub to fit on a trailer rim plus the cost of the trailer rim but this is a one time cost.

Well said Admiral.
    I plan to bribe Admiral with some sort of liquid refreshment in Moab to swap bikes , or at least do a side-by-side comparison in the sand and rock between Duro and Cerros tires. I imagine the more rounded profile of the Cerros would be less disconcerting in everyday riding. Yesterday I test rode Betty Boop a bit and it sure felt different from the stock TrailWing I have been riding lately on Mr.Gizmo bike, transitions from straight to cornering entail a noticeable "sensation" not felt with a rounder profile. One gets used to this and it becomes just another background TW experience. My Durro has never felt odd, unsafe, or left me wanting in aggressive asphalt cornering.
    All is not peaches and cream with a ATV tire on a stock rim, servicing with the trailer wheel conversion seems so much safer. I would not do another install on a stock rim. I picked up a nail in my Duro a year ago on the eve of a three day ride. Dreading the delay in convincing a tire shop to dismount , install new tube and re-mount I elected to see if the Ride-On sealant could see me through my trip. Nail is still there, as is all the three year old pressurized air and sealant in the tire.... I know, conventional wisdom says to remove the nail before it shreds the tube further however when I pulled the nail it leaked. So I stuck the nail back in as plug, rotated parked tire so nail was at six o'clock and went back to packing and added my air compressor. Compressor remains unused.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

You guys are great. Thanks for the honest reviews and opinions. I think I will start watching for a rear wheel or hub so I can do the trailer wheel conversion. It seems like the best option, but I don't want to sacrifice my own rear wheel to do it.
    littletommy and admiral like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponosred Links