The Moab Chronicles - Page 5
Close

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree348Likes

Thread: The Moab Chronicles

So purple says: "My hovercraft is full of eels. Gotta meet this guy someday.

As to the Forma Adventure boots I too went through the mental
    gymnastics of balancing protection against comfort and off-bike versatility. I could be snide and say at least the blow didn’t break my foot like it broke the TW frame but I can’t honestly say it all happened at once, it was an active week.9903ba7267c7a403a341d40b5a5a4b3f.jpg
    I decided I was still happy with the compromise afforded by the Forma Adventure boots. For example prior to the injury I had spent several hours confidently scampering around the Slickrock Single Track trail in the Formas. MX style boots likely would have made me nervous off the bike when trying to find traction on sloping rock. Yes I got hurt with a boot affording less than optimal crush protection but my old MX boots did not match my adventure riding style.

P.S. - Prognosis indicates more motorcycling. Four digital X-Rays today indicate no real damage so I must be just a cry-baby.
    Last edited by Fred; 04-11-2017 at 07:52 PM.
    littletommy, Ken, ejfranz and 3 others like this.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

Last year I claimed there were few if any road signs on the long graded shortcut between Utah and Nevada. Turns out I was wrong, found this one at least: Oh, and I actually saw another car this time, a rancher's wife off to the big city lights

Found other interesting signs too, somewhat better maintained: Quote sounds almost as if the writer was referring to TW-ing at Moab

Amazing what a fellow can stumble upon: Looks like $96 stage fare from Houstin,TX to Austin, NV?
    Last edited by Fred; 04-15-2017 at 06:39 PM.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

CATHEDRAL VALLEY Video
    This relaxing ride into Capitol Reef National Park’s Cathedral Valley was a worthwhile detour on my way to Moab. About 35 miles of graded dirt from the highway takes one past lower and upper Cathedral Valleys and up to a simple fee-feree campground overlooking the valley below.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

BLACK ROCK ROAD Video
    My Astro 4x4 van may not be as comfy as some of your RVs but it sometimes allows me to explore and discover some interesting places with less risk of getting stuck. Here is a quick minute of some of the “Big Empty” as I work my way home via an overnight at a nice hot spring
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

I enjoyed seeing the moab trip pictures and videos.
    We explored and camped out when we did the Cathedral Valley loop, easy but scenic.
    I'm really interested in your shortcut on the Black Rock Road, though I've been across Hwy 50 a number of times I haven't gone that way yet.

Fred I think your Astro van is a comfy getaway vechicle for one or cozy two like with the wife. We used to have a small tent trailer that I raised the axel and put bigger wheels on it for off road. We towed it by many 4x4's all over the Socal desert and into Baja until it started to fall apart. We used to put a Honda 110 atc on the roof of the TentT. I won't go very far on dirt roads with our trailer now I know it will implode.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    BLACK ROCK ROAD Video
    My Astro 4x4 van may not be as comfy as some of your RVs but it sometimes allows me to explore and discover some interesting places with less risk of getting stuck. Here is a quick minute of some of the “Big Empty” as I work my way home via an overnight at a nice hot spring
    Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper Bars one with risers, DG oval pipes. rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Aserbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Moab SlickRock Singletrack Video
    This was my favorite ride, April Fool’s Day fun in the sun riding with the crew on the rocks chasing down all those little white markers. Totally captivating trail for a first time ride as you never know exactly where those pesky white marks will go next. I thought all the little pockets of water really added to the visual and riding enjoyment
    Last edited by Fred; 05-05-2017 at 08:34 AM.
    Hoot Gibson, Purple, Mel and 4 others like this.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

Nice vid Fred ....
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 5000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007

That is a cool video. So someome took a group photo of everyone on this day before heading out. We went to potash Rd and the switch backs. Anybody have it?
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper Bars one with risers, DG oval pipes. rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Aserbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

I should have followed Tweaker out to Potash for after SlickRock we all took Hell’s Revenge to relax on something a bit wider than single track. Sure enough a quarter mile in I bonked my foot. Seemingly the first chance I had to upshift out of first gear and off I go wide grazing a boulder. As such following video is a bit brief as I was a bit distracted by a painful paw

Needless to say others have posted better videos of this ride. It is another great trail system out of the Sand Flats area, well worth the $2 admission. It can be challenging but there are by-passes to avoid the nastiest sections.
    I felt much more comfortable on my bike and tires here than when I first did Hell’s Revenge on Borneo’s borrowed bike. His new Michelin M-63 ( I think) knobby front tire seemed squirrelly compared to my trials tire.
    His M-63(?) wanted to wander off to the sides. In the above opening scene the beginning of the trail is a lion’s back type feature where you really don’t want to wander off to the sides.
    Last edited by Fred; 05-05-2017 at 03:56 PM.
    mhomadness and admiral like this.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Sponosred Links