Moab 2017-Admiral's Views - Page 6
Close

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree373Likes

Thread: Moab 2017-Admiral's Views

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Love the way Admiral caught one of Don's laughs. One of many good riders!
    I couldn't stop laughing when I heard Don's laugh. I was so glad I caught it on video. Don was an excellent rider. My only hope is I hope he was as sore and tired as I was! I feel like a better rider when everybody else is as sore and tired as me!
    littletommy likes this.

Moab 17 Day 3 Golden Spike

With all riders back together (ejfranz & Jeff rode Rusty Nail with the rest of us on Gold Bar Rim) we continue our Day 3 ride on the Golden Spike Trail having earlier conquered Gold Bar Rim Trail. I am so darn tired from 2 days of hard riding and I struggled so much on Gold Bar Rim. On the Golden Spike, I finally started to get my sea legs back. I had heard so much about the Golden Crack but this ended up being pretty easy. There were much harder obstacles on the trail up ahead than the crack was.

Shortly after linking back up with ejfranz and Jeff we arrived at the famous Golden Crack. I didn't find any gold but there was in fact a crack...and not a plumbers crack.

We were entertained by the utv group showing off going back and forth across the crack while we ate lunch.

It was a unanimous vote, we would send ejfranz across the crack first. If he falls and gets killed in the crossing or even worse, the rest of us decided we would head back the way we came. Oh, we'd call search & rescue and give them the coordinates where to find ejfranz's TW...oh and body.

He made it so thankfully we all continued the ride.

There were plenty of places to take a look over the cliff edge overlooking U.S. Hwy 191.

You can see Arches N.P. entrance down below.

Looking north.

Plenty of cool places along the trail to conduct a firing squad execution for whiny riding companions...if needed. Thankfully, this was a no whining day for all of us.

We did have some minor turbulence along the way. I called this place "the Silver Crack". Ok, maybe I whined a little so I had my son try and ride up this little obstacle. So so glad we had passed the executioners wall earlier.

ejfranz and Don made it up without help but the rest of us weren't so lucky. Don't ride these trails alone. Bring a young "lifting person" or three with you.

More smooth easy riding ahead for sure

The scary tree corner. Only thing missing is big black eagles, also known as crows.

We started to get more slickrock areas the closer we got to the junction with Poison Spider trail

Day 3 to be continued with our final trail, Poison Spider.

You really outdid yourself this year with wonderful pictures Kris!! Thank you!!
    Fred, grewen, Tweaker and 2 others like this.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Admiral,

I gotta see this--Poison Spider with a TW. This bike has NO limitations. I am so glad I have one back in my stable.

Simba
    littletommy and admiral like this.

Quote Originally Posted by simbaboy View Post
    Admiral,.... This bike has NO limitations. .....
    Simba
    Unless you want to fly....like Admiral....
    Rocky
    2010 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by simbaboy View Post
    Admiral,

I gotta see this--Poison Spider with a TW. This bike has NO limitations. I am so glad I have one back in my stable.

Simba
    I don't have any picture's of Poison Spider yet as I have to grab them off the video which I haven't done yet. P.S. is the easiest of the 3 trails but getting there is the hard part. We descended down P.S. and there are some nasty uphill rock sections, I'll call them whitewater rafting without the water. Of course, some of my trail rating system is based on 1. it was the end of the day, and 2. we were already so darn tired from riding Gold Bar Rim and Golden Spike trails. There is a loop up on top of P.S. with some overlook out & backs which were really fun. A combo of sand and slick rock sort of like Fins & Things.

Oh, I'd say the bike has limitations, but I'm the one which holds the TW back with my riding limitations. Couple guys who rode with us are really good riders.

On a side note, shortly after crossing the crack we met some dirt bike riders. I could see they were thinking what were we old dudes were doing up there on TW's for criss sake. One was kind of a smartass in my opinion after a snarky answer to our "how's the trail ahead" question. Another one had the look of a smart ass and was all dressed up for his ride with matching riding shirt & pants.

Makes me which we all were wearing torn jeans and flannel shirts. It sure seemed like those two were looking down on us because we were riding TW's and not the expensive dirt bikes. I had that feeling of wanting to "throat punch them" come over me instantly.

I had my "we showed them moment" when we saw them later on on the Poison Spider Loop. I wish I could have seen the look on their faces as we passed each other. "Yeah, we made it you Jackwagons, TW's and all", I said to myself.

Everybody else was really friendly. Even had a short friendly conversation with the jeepers people, which made up for the Jackwagons!
    littletommy, Mel, ejfranz and 2 others like this.

There are unfortunately some eleitist bikers whose sense of superiority comes through as being rather annoying and unneccesary. We TWers fortunately don't seem to have the need as often to look down our noses at other riders...must be due to the low seating height.
    I suppose one could always point out that while a well funded major KTM team with fancy banners and uniforms and press releases failed a few years ago our lowly TW made it to the North Pole decades ago on a shoestring budget. It's not how expensive your equipment is but rather what you do with it. Good for you Admiral!
    And congradulations on a series of some of the best trail videos out there.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

"It was a unanimous vote, we would send ejfranz across the crack first. If he falls and gets killed in the crossing or even worse, the rest of us decided we would head back the way we came. Oh, we'd call search & rescue and give them the coordinates where to find ejfranz's TW...oh and body. "

Really?? You forgot another important step contact me (his wife) so I could collect the insurance money....
    Linda
    Last edited by ejfranz; 04-22-2017 at 07:23 PM.
    littletommy, Mel, Fred and 5 others like this.
    2001 TW200, 2015 VStrom XT, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY
    2009 WR250r now with my son

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    "It was a unanimous vote, we would send ejfranz across the crack first. If he falls and gets killed in the crossing or even worse, the rest of us decided we would head back the way we came. Oh, we'd call search & rescue and give them the coordinates where to find ejfranz's TW...oh and body. "

Really?? You forgot another important step contact me (his wife) so I could collect the insurance money....
    Linda
    lol8.gif
    Tweaker, Fred and littletommy like this.

Lots of funny stuff is this post. Tks.
    admiral and littletommy like this.
    Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper Bars one with risers, DG oval pipes. rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Aserbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, weld on foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Sponosred Links