Sugar Sand - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Sugar Sand

Again Thanks for the video and words of advice. This is a great forum for helping this old man out.
    littletommy likes this.

If its a smooth trail then its not so bad.Problems show up when the trail is rutted and full of giant whoops from the quads and 4x4 trucks. At that point this older,wiser Xracer turns around and goes some where else.

Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    ... I've since changed to the Shinko Trials tire and look forward to trying it out under the same conditions again.
    I found that the Shinko 241 was a slight improvement, but in really deep sand it didn't matter. Tread design has little effect in 6 inch deep dry sand. Sitting back, pulling back and keeping the engine in the power band with quick jabs to the throttle helps.
    I still hate deep (6 inch +) sand and will turn around if it's more than a few dozen yards.
    Rocky
    2010 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Here in MI we have miles and miles of sand! That video was really interesting and it makes sense why the TW sucks so bad in deep sand at speed! That big wide tire must put up a wall of sand to turn through! Add to that the lack of traction and power and you have why I have changed my approch to a "floatation" vs. throttle up approach. We rode about 40 miles of sugar sand last summer on the way to a spot we were interested in, talk about tired!
    2002 TW200
    1998 DR350
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

Yeah, there is a huge difference between a 5.10/18 on a steel rim with a 225 lb. rider and a 3.25/21 on an alloy rim with 25 Horsepower driving it and a 160 lb. 20 something riding it!!!
    Those bikes just get up and float like they had helium in the tires. But that isn't what I bought the TW for, so I don't care....I like rocks.
    Rocky
    2010 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Good advice from all — here on the Island I have to ready for hard sand, soft sand, sand that will swallow you (and the bike) — and the dreaded “mud and sand” (up to the axles)

So far I’ve found that matching speeds, and the “floating rider, sinking bike” technique will only get you so far — then it’s time to change direction

Hard work — but at least you guys don’t have to worry about the tide coming back in ……

red-wahrf-bay.jpg
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 5000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007

Quote Originally Posted by floridaboy View Post
    Thanks for the info. This is a new bike with the stock tires. I am new to this off road riding and don't know that much about it. Also i am not as young as i once was now 75. I think i will avoid the sugar sand for now. Thanks again for the help. A lot to think about.
    Welcome by the way!

If your sugar sand is just 2-3 inches and you get that wiggle-squirmy feel, a better front tire (SR244, SR241) with lower tire pressure (10-12 psi-both tires) will help. You could also try this sand in small doses until you get use to it but could take a while. If the sand is like that golf course sand trap kinda crap 8 inches or deeper (i.e. even hard to walk in), best to avoid if you can.

Just got back from Moab where there is no shortage of sand either. Comes in many depths. Some of us don't mind the sand, perhaps even like it, but many stayed clear of trails with much sand. I once dreaded sand but now embrace it...sort of.

No matter what, have fun with the TW wherever you ride it. That's what it's all about! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    I've since changed to the Shinko Trials tire and look forward to trying it out under the same conditions again.
    I have better control in sand since upgrading to the Shinko 241.
    littletommy and admiral like this.
    John in Nanaimo

2013 TW200 - with Shinko 241 front tire, Rox 2" anti-vibe risers, Polisport Touquet handguards

Well i think i was trying to go were i should not have tried. It was a area were trucks had be running and the sand was 6 to 8 inches deep . I will not try that again for sure. I ride by myself need to know my limits.
    littletommy and Xracer like this.

This thread has got me excited to ride some sand. When I meet a challenge I would rather work at improving my skills than avoid it. Well for this weekend I'll be riding snow and mud trails so thats good too. Keep the tips coming guys.
    littletommy, Tweaker, Ken and 2 others like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links