Visiting Southwest Utah - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: Visiting Southwest Utah

Quote Originally Posted by JACDub View Post
    What are some good places to ride in the provo/salt lake area? Once the snow melts of course.

The whole of the Wasatch Plateau is a killer area, with hundreds of ATV and jeep roads with spectacular views. If you have a Garmin GPS, PM me with email addy and I'll send you some tracks and pics. (I guess it doesn't have to be a Garmin, they are *gpx files)

For starters:

http://www.utah.com/art/maps/offroad/skylinemap.pdf
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Rocky
    2010 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
    This is a great thread B-dub.

+1 !!!!

I'm already drooling and planning a May trip. You could use Dropbox, or you could upload tracks or routes to www.gpsxchange.com and provide links.
    Rocky
    2010 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    +1 !!!!

I'm already drooling and planning a May trip. You could use Dropbox, or you could upload tracks or routes to www.gpsxchange.com and provide links.

Thanks, and great idea! The Dropbox seems to be working OK, though. I may do both.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Cool, thanks for the website references. I'm excited for the snow to melt so I can explore my backyard here in Utah county!

Hello B-dub, Others
    I have ridden the White Rim on a KLR650 but it was rushed. My riding partners were more interested in just checking if off as having done it rather than really enjoying the views.
    I am planning to do it again at my pace again in April. I have the large tank on it so no real fuel range issues.
    In addition to the TW I also acquired a DR350se recently.
    Do you think the TW had adequate power and grip to ride the WRT? I know you did it but would you do it again? I am about 225# and will have additional 30# in water/food/etc.
    Or maybe the DR might be better? I thought the KLR650 was good but a bit heavy on certain hill climbs and sand.
    Thanks
    Simba

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again on the TW, in fact my ride this last summer just renewed my respect for the TW. What a great little bike, so versatile. The only place it doesn't shine is above 55 mph, although there are some on the forum who would debate that with me.

With a Maxxis Ceros on the back I was geared a little higher than stock. I can only remember once that I came close to powering out, and I didn't have any traction problems. I am approximately your weight, I had full camping gear on the TW when I rode the WRT, and the TW handled it just fine.

I think the only real advantage to the DR is more power, and in my opinion more power isn't needed for taking it slow and enjoying the sights. OK, it probably has a better suspension too, but again not much of a deal if you're sightseeing.

In retrospect, in my report I probably made the WRT (and Lockhart Basin) sound more difficult than it was. It was kind of challenging, but being loaded, alone, and hotter than the blazes changes your perspective a bit. If I had set up a base camp so I didn't have to haul my gear, went during the spring or fall, and recruited a friend to go with me I'm sure it would have been easier and more enjoyable.

In conclusion, the short seat height, relative light weight, tractable engine, low 1st gear, big back tire, and just all around fun factor made the TW an ideal mount for the WRT and other trails I did last summer. I have no complaints at all with the TW, any limitations were mine.
    Last edited by B-dub; 12-11-2013 at 06:17 AM.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Thanks B-dub,
    I can't wait to get back to Moab with the TW and Dr350se. For the last 2 years I have taken the KLR650. It will be like doing all the trails with a new sense of adventure.
    Anybody wanna have a TW reunion in Moab during Spring Break March 30-April 3rd?
    Thanks
    Simba

Quote Originally Posted by B-dub View Post
    I wouldn't hesitate to do it again on the TW, in fact my ride this last summer just renewed my respect for the TW. What a great little bike, so versatile. The only place it doesn't shine is above 55 mph, although there are some on the forum who would debate that with me.

With a Maxxis Ceros on the back I was geared a little higher than stock. I can only remember once that I came close to powering out, and I didn't have any traction problems. I am approximately your weight, I had full camping gear on the TW when I rode the WRT, and the TW handled it just fine.

I think the only real advantage to the DR is more power, and in my opinion more power isn't needed for taking it slow and enjoying the sights. OK, it probably has a better suspension too, but again not much of a deal if you're sightseeing.

In retrospect, in my report I probably made the WRT (and Lockhart Basin) sound more difficult than it was. It was kind of challenging, but being loaded, alone, and hotter than the blazes changes your perspective a bit. If I had set up a base camp so I didn't have to haul my gear, went during the spring or fall, and recruited a friend to go with me I'm sure it would have been easier and more enjoyable.

In conclusion, the short seat height, relative light weight, tractable engine, low 1st gear, big back tire, and just all around fun factor made the TW an ideal mount for the WRT and other trails I did last summer. I have no complaints at all with the TW, any limitations were mine.

Are you the Simbaboy that did the hysterically funny ride report about the WRT over on ADVrider? Man, that was a good one!

Yes Sir. I rode with 3 other Dudes from the South.
    Initially, I thought they took me along for my cute ass. But later I found out they were more interested in the KLR650 Super Tanker fuel tank. What a relief that was.
    Simba

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodetrip View Post
    Are you the Simbaboy that did the hysterically funny ride report about the WRT over on ADVrider? Man, that was a good one!

Beautifull photos of beautifull country, thanks for sharing. I am curious if you could ride a full lap of White RimTrail from Moab to Green River's Mineral Bottom to confluence of Colorado River and back to Moab on one tank of gas. It is about 100 miles long, perhaps too far for a safe solo ride. I can recommend Torroweep destination, great free camp sites at end of road at Colorado River overlooking Lava Falls make a great base camp for day rides. Many interesting rock art sites in region, including one obscure site with strange unique paintings in australian aboriginal style. Wish I could find it, is kept secret to avoid vandalism.
    You live in a great part of world for TW exploring.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links