A quick jaunt to Central City Cemetery and nearby Apex
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: A quick jaunt to Central City Cemetery and nearby Apex

A quick jaunt to Central City Cemetery and nearby Apex

After seeing Admirals cemetery thread I had the urge to make a run for Central City Cemetery and nearby Apex since I hadn't been by in a while. I had planned on leaving early in the am and spending the day, but things didn't work out and I ended up leaving later than I had hoped. I figured a short ride is better than no ride! When I left my house temps were a balmy 58F. Nice riding weather!

Arriving at Central City Cemetery:

Pressed for time, I didn't get a chance to wander and look for interesting headstones. The temp was dropping quickly in the late afternoon as a cool front was moving in, so after a quick photo I headed on towards Apex, the remnants of a gold mining town from 1870. Only a few buildings remain.

At Apex:

By this time temps were down to ~40F so I headed for home. It was a chilly ride and I was racing the sun as it dropped lower in the sky. I got home at dusk and it was downright nippy at 34F. I was happy to put the bike in the garage and grab a cup of coffee to warm up. A good 90 mile ride for early winter . Hopefully I can get in a few more before the snow flies.
    Mel, littletommy, admiral and 3 others like this.

Nice..

At first I though that I don't seek to find cemeteries, but then looking back (Watson, Mineral), I guess I did.

Very nice picture's! The entry way to the Central City Cemetery is pretty cool. To bad you didn't have time to wander around looking for interesting things, but with temperatures dropping, I get it! Apex looks like it's a neat place to do some exploring.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

nice pics. that's a good sized box on the back to carry your stuff. Do you ever use the front rack?
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

I found a Confederate cemetery near my house that actually has only a foot trail or TW trail to get to it. There were a couple of plots that had wood and screen wire A frame covers over them. It looked like a chicken house. There were awesome masonic headstones with great detail in the engraving. The local church plus a few family members I would guess ,that keep it mowed and clean. I deleted the pictures I took or I would post them.

Cool pics! I hope to spend some time in Colorado one of these days. There's a lot of neat stuff to see. Thanks for sharing your ride with us.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    At first I though that I don't seek to find cemeteries, but then looking back (Watson, Mineral), I guess I did.

Very nice picture's! The entry way to the Central City Cemetery is pretty cool. To bad you didn't have time to wander around looking for interesting things, but with temperatures dropping, I get it! Apex looks like it's a neat place to do some exploring.
    Whenever I see one I sure like to look around. They really illustrate how life was so much different in that era.

Quote Originally Posted by evan View Post
    nice pics. that's a good sized box on the back to carry your stuff. Do you ever use the front rack?
    The box on the back is the Rubbermaid Actionpacker, it's been a great box and goes along for road trips. The front rack was just recently added so I don't know just yet how useful it will be. I always wanted one and found one at a price I couldn't pass up locally so I'll give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Little General View Post
    I found a Confederate cemetery near my house that actually has only a foot trail or TW trail to get to it. There were a couple of plots that had wood and screen wire A frame covers over them. It looked like a chicken house. There were awesome masonic headstones with great detail in the engraving. The local church plus a few family members I would guess ,that keep it mowed and clean. I deleted the pictures I took or I would post them.
    Some of the headstones up there are really interesting. A lot of standard markers and some very unusual ones as well - trees, log cabins, logs - all sorts! I have been up there a few times and still havent seen them all yet.

Quote Originally Posted by B-dub View Post
    Cool pics! I hope to spend some time in Colorado one of these days. There's a lot of neat stuff to see. Thanks for sharing your ride with us.
    C'mon over! Utah is on my list of places I'd like to visit - lots cool stuff in your area too!

Apex brings back some fond memories. When I lived up Moon Gulch out of Rollinsville, Colorado I would often ride up the jeep road continuing further up Moon Gulch from my house and eventually end up at Apex. From there I would ride up James Peak. Sometimes I would drop over the top to Saint Mary's Glacier and circle back around on another trail. There were a lot of trails you could ride on. I would ride the same trails on a snowmobile in the winter.

Dan

I want to explore some of the old mines up in that area, and a couple of other cemeteries. James peak is still on my list, as well as heading over to the Moffat tunnel. Just need more time and a warmer day! Looks to be lots of great riding up there.

PS - nice looking bike

When adventuring through the Central City area, I came across some very interesting cemeteries! Some of which were very old, IMO. A lot of cool stuff in that area! Just curious, what road did you take to Central City? I'm in Golden and I've only ever taken I-70 in to Central City and I'm pretty sure I'd get run over on the TW. Ha! I sent you a PM, let me know if you ever need a riding partner.
    Gone - 2006 TW200
    Gone - 2014 CB1100
    2015 WR250R - Bored, stroked
    Gone - 2000 Trans Am
    Stolen - 2007 Trailblazer SS
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
    1977 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 710M

2 Timothy 1:7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links