Want to buy: Bmw r1100 or 1150rs 1993-2001
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Want to buy: Bmw r1100 or 1150rs 1993-2001

Want to buy: Bmw r1100RS 1993-2001

Cleanest i can find. White, silver, black or glacier green only.

2004_BMW_1150RS_Base._CB139115526_.jpg
    Last edited by Boatsnbullets; 02-20-2017 at 04:19 PM.
    Tuber likes this.

rbm
    The thread title has the 1150 included, I'm not personally a BMW guy but I have friends that are. I'd stay away from the 1150, it seems it was a bastard model without alot of support and several issues from what I've heard.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Currently working on my 95 R1100R. Great bike.

I agree about the 1150's.... Junk. Had a few that passed through here. Junk.

And I'm not known for selling bikes. And I don't have any 1150s anymore. Junk.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Junk?
    Can you elaborate with specificity?
    Thank you
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

Junior Member DARIVS ARCHITECTVS's Avatar
    My 2003 R1150GS Adventure is past 122,000 miles and still running. It's the same year and model that was used in Long Way Round. And you know how hard they overloaded their bikes. Junk? HARDLY. If you read the ADVrider forums, you will note some maintenance concerns that appear with the 1150 series, such as the final drive spline wear issue, but nothing that much greater than other designs. Maintenance of the R1150GS is expensive because it is BMW, not because of design weaknesses. Lemons exist in every series of machines. It is difficult choosing the most reliable bikes even after you sift through all the forums and look for problem trends, though we all try our best when we shop.
    Boatsnbullets likes this.
    DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
    (Darius the Engineer)

1944 DKW NZ350-1
    2003 BMW R1150GS Adventure
    2010 Yamaha TW200

Great bikes. You focusing on some years (1995 and up and the 1100 and 1150 motors) that had some "surge problems" with EFI. Not every or all bikes had the problem but the disappointing thing was the company never 'fessed up that there was a problem at all. Final resolve if you did happen to have this issue was 3rd party after-market devices that "tricked" the EFI computer into thinking a different fuel mixture at acceleration. Similar to a Power Commander but this accessory is plug-and-play. Good news is that after a couple hundred dollars for it...it really is a complete fix.

If you go look at one of these you HAVE to test-ride it. Or perhaps the owner took care of it with the after-market stuff.
    I owned a 1996 r1100rt that thankfully didn't have this problem but other folks with the same year and engine did. Really no rhyme or reason why one would be affected and another of the same exact bike didn't. You can and should go to any Beemer forums and in the category that covers the year and models you are looking put "surge" into the search engine. Lot's of stuff will come up. BMWMOA is one of the best. Costs to join if you are not a member but if you are going to spend $$$ on a BMW it would be worth your while to spend a couple bucks and really research the make and model you are interested in. Plus you'll want to join BMWMOA anyway if you buy a BMW. I believe by the 1200 motor this issue had been eliminated from the factory.

Me (in the Hi-Viz jacket) along with the fellow who bought my rt. This is the day he bought and picked it up. I took him along with some of my friends on a 200 mile ride upstate. She's a big bike and I had mixed feelings about selling her. Much better than my Harley Softail ever was on the open road.
    The best thing about the 1100 motor in this model was it ate up the miles in incredible comfort, took me all over the country. The bad thing was all the plastic and fairing (Tupperware) that you had to take off to do the simplest maintenance items. The regular "r" naked version would have suited me better. I bought the old '69 Beemer that I currently own a week later.
    IMG_2813.JPG

I went BMW shopping a few years ago. Not really knowing the details and just let the reviews, issues, maintenance and cost drive my search. I found that they have definitely improved their designs over the years. I was lucky in that I was able to test ride an 1100, 1150s and 1200. I also decided that the GS could do what the R could, weighed less and seemed to have no more problems and the maintenance was slightly easier.

If I was just going to tour I might go with the R, because of the wind protection and over a long haul it probably is a little more comfortable. But the GS seemed to fit me, 6'1" 195, better than the R / RT.

I'd buy the newest one that's up on maintenance, looks well taken care of, in your price range, everything else being equal. I passed on many low mileage examples that had no maintenance history or looked to not be well cared for. These motor will last a long time, along with the rest of the mc, so mileage alone shouldn't be a deciding factor.

Good luck with your search.

The ride home today from Logandale to Las Vegas was on Interstate 15, with traffic moving 75-85.
    A fairing/windscreen would have been nice.
    Never had one, but ordered a Dart Marlin Flyscreen for the V7 II.
    781 miles on the Moto Guzzi since Feb 10

I did miss the TW when I was on a gravel section in Valley of Fire State Park!
    North Shore, Lake Mead (5).JPG
    littletommy and Boatsnbullets like this.

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    The three that went through here were all afflicted by driveline problems (splines). None had more than 32k on them.
    Minor electrical issues, but I don't hold that against them.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsnbullets View Post
    Junk?
    Can you elaborate with specificity?
    Thank you

BMWs suck, why would you want one?

3.jpg12.jpg
    Yamaha - 1992 TW200
    BMW - 1995 R1100GS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links