Welcome to Yamaha TW200 Trailway Discussion Forum Sign in | Join | Faq

Off-topic and other bikes

Started by novaks44 at 07-16-2010 3:36 PM. Topic has 54 replies.

Print Search
Sort Posts:    
   07-16-2010, 3:36 PM
novaks44 is not online. Last active: 7/16/2010 10:30:28 PM novaks44

Top 50 Posts
Joined on 02-04-2009
San Jose, CA
Posts 535
Re: Broken Veteran.
Reply Quote
+1 to what Qwerty said. I'd be doing the same should I ever win the lottery.

You didn't upset me BV, I'm just t'eed off at your situation, and the VA for not doing enough. You are NOT a lazy bum! It's not your fault you received those injuries, or that you're getting screwed by the VA. And you're not a burden either. Again, you're just a victim of circumstance. You're no more at fault than the next dude who was born paralyzed from the waist down, or something along those lines. Just keep your spirits up as best you can, and keep on ridin'!
2009 TW :47T Rear Sprocket; Pro-Circuit Exhaust w/silencer; Jimbo C's Cafe Shield; The usual carb mods; LED speedo and indicator lights; Headlight kill switch; DID O-ring Chain; Ricochet Skid Plate; Osram Rallye H4 bulb; Wolo horn w/relay; KLR pegs
   07-16-2010, 3:40 PM
mudpuppy is not online. Last active: 7/20/2010 4:30:16 PM mudpuppy

Top 500 Posts
Joined on 04-22-2010
northwest Illinois
Posts 34
Reply Quote
Caught the thread, and I am wishing you well.

I had 16 years on with a police dept and blew out a couple disks in my lower back on the job, so they pensioned me off (more money than you are getting--thank God). I'm now 54, have degenerative issues in other areas of my spine too, and have also battled depression at times due to the feelings of loss--physical, career, etc....

I sold my big old BMW R100GS last year because the pain had forced me to not be able to work, and not be able to ride enough to justify the expense of keeping it. I bought the TWs this year because I was placed on a pain med that finally helped with the nerve pain: gabapentin.

It's a generic, so the expense isn't too much, and although it was developed for epilepsy, it was found to help with nerve pain in some people. Might be worth asking your doctor about---my neurosurgeon and family doc never mentioned it, but a rheumatologist I was referred to this spring had me try it. Between the gabapentin and some chiropractic adjustments, I am having way more good days than bad, and I seldom have to raid my stash of codeine or other more serious pain meds.

On the money angle, you have probably already explored this, but if you haven't, you should look into social security disability. It sounds like you have enough problems that you really can't have 'meaningful' employment any longer.

Good luck,
Corey
two 09 TWs; Richochet skid plates, Moose Racing 'Expedition' rear rack, D.I.D 428V O-Ring chains
   Yesterday, 7:21 AM
xracer is not online. Last active: 7/14/2010 10:14:19 PM xracer

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 01-16-2007
lake placid,florida
Posts 1,733
Cool [H] Re: Broken Veteran.
Reply Quote
Pedaled my bicycle over to Chris's Saturday with the idea of sizing up his yard,when what the heck his grass is cut! Seems he was able to use his noodle and fix the mower. Anyhow after some general B.S. Vet stated he'd like to have a meet and eat ride after it cools down. Hope when the dates posted some of you can show up.
   Today, 12:20 PM
wbader is online. Last active: 7/20/2010 7:59:27 PM wbader

Top 75 Posts
Joined on 03-14-2008
Alberta, Canada
Posts 335
Reply Quote
My wife had back surgery 3 years ago for a ruptured disk that required an emergency discectomy. The drug she took was gabapentin and it definitely helped. On the side effects is depression, so that might be something to consider.
What's the nearest burger place to you that you can ride your TW to?
Cheers.
Regards
...Wes
   Today, 12:46 PM
Broken Veteran is online. Last active: 7/20/2010 11:01:26 PM Broken Veteran

Top 100 Posts
Joined on 09-12-2009
Sebring, Florida
Posts 230
Reply Quote
The Gabapentin worked for pain.  I was out of it just enough to not want to do anything.  So I stopped it.
The Codeine works for me.  All the strong stuff I quit taking.
An old guy told me...  "You have to learn to love your pain."
So for 18 years I have been thinking that.
The TW starts right up.  I go for a little ride and feel brand new for a little while.
It is the only pleasure I get.  But is is sooooo good, I require nothing further.

Page 3 of 3 (55 items) < 1 2 3
Yamaha TW200 Tr... » Other Forums » Off-topic and o... » Re: Broken Veteran.