TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Kick Stand Switch

10K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Rainman 
#1 ·
When driving on rough hard-packed roads, my bike kind of cuts out and surges. I finally contributed this to my kick stand bouncing up and down, momentarily killing the bike. The bike hasn't actually turned off, but its annoying. I do not want to remove the switch. My question is, has anyone had this problem and how did you solve it? Did you get a heavier spring? Tighten the bolt?

#3 ·
Unfortunately this is also a symptom of several other problems, including a failing ignition module.

First, make sure the swtch screws are tight and that there are no obviously bare or broken wires. Then make sure that your kickstand spring link is engaging the plunger when the kickstand is up. These sometimes can get bent in a getoff to the point where they sidestep the little "foot" on the switch, so watch it through its entire range of motion.

You can totally eliminate the switch from the system as follows:

Cut a piece of #16-18 wire about 4" long. Strip the insulation back about 1/2" on both ends and bend the wire into a "U". Follow the switch wires to the connector (up near the seat). Unplug the connector and insert the ends of your jumper wire between the two female pins (blue/white-to- blue/yellow wires on early bikes, blue/white and black/white on later models, IIRC)on the harness (bike) side.. Secure them to the connector with electrical tape and go ride the bike.

If that solves the problem, the switch can be disassembled, contacts cleaned, spring replaced or temporarily stretched. If you don't feel confident with that, a better temporary fix is to cut the wires between the connector and the switch, then solder or wirenut them together.

You can either ride it for the rest of your life like that (my recomendation), or continue riding the bike until the new switch arrives.

If that doesn't solve the problem, PM me your # and I'll walk you through checking some of the other possibilities.

Virtually ALL these switches are DOOKIE, btw, regardless of brand of motorcycle or country of origin. If you ride a bike long enough or under the right conditions they will leave you stranded at some point. If you're not into eliminating them at least become familiar enough with how to bypass your clutch safety, neutral safety and sidestand switch.

If your brake light switches break or get stuck closed it is slightly less problematic, but the same applies. Unplug the offending switch and rely on the other one (front or rear) as applicable.

#6 ·
Might be worth checking your float level. If it's a little too low and gas starts sloshing, you might be leaning out your mixture on the bumpy roads. Just a guess though.

Me too! Although, I cut off the switch and soldering the two wires together so my kickstand is "always up".

#5 ·
Upon further examination, it is not my kick stand switch. I put the bike up on the lift and put it in gear and wiggled the stand. The kick stand has to be almost to the ground before it cuts out the motor. I don't get it, it only does it on washboard roads, not on the street.

#7 ·
[quote name='catamount' date='05 October 2010 - 06:10 AM' timestamp='1286287823' post='5136']

Might be worth checking your float level. If it's a little too low and gas starts sloshing, you might be leaning out your mixture on the bumpy roads. Just a guess though.

Good thought. I have checked it within the past four months though. Other thing is that it is extremely hard to start with the electric starter when its warm. One kick and it fires right up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.